Skip to main content

Altitude, Science, and Magic

We just had our first run at altitude today. It felt awful. I wish I could say it didn't. I wish I could say that I felt like a million bucks, like a million bucks growing in a good stock market. But I didn't. Maybe it wasn't the altitude that caused the ill-effect, maybe it was the two day respite from physical activity that logged the legs and put them in shock mode today. Or maybe, it was that I danced my face off Saturday night at a wedding. Or that I traveled cross country and back in 40 hours to get to that wedding. All of which, the dancing and traveling, was great for the soul, but not so great for recovery from a hellish week of training.

This week will be different. The sights, sounds, and smells of Chula Vista replaced with those of Colorado. The team traveled to the Springs yesterday for a training camp at the Springs Olympic Training Center. The purpose of our rendez-vous is altitude acclimatization - optimizing our bodies to perform under the environmental stress of high altitude.

The 2011 Pan American Games, our Olympic Qualifier, will be held in Guadaljara, Mexico, which sits 5,215 feet above sea level.

Within the past year, our training regiment has become highly scientific. It is no longer the old "run shuttles till you puke" mentality.  The training is based on objective data of blood lactaid, heart-rate, hydration, and aerobic threshold. It takes a systematic approach to optimizing individual performance. A fitness approach rooted in the idea that each body operates differently.

Individual success is the most basic indicator of a successful team.  On a great team, every individual role is optimized; every individual thrives. But often, because of the myriad of variables within team sports, it is easy for responsibility to be diffused. Some may get lax on the details, while others carry the slack.

A measurable approach to training ensures that each individual is accountable to the details of their individual success, thus promoting the success of the team.

Often, we hear about the magic of team sports. I don't necessarily believe in magic; I believe in a disciplined approach to the details - by every individual that contributes to the group.

You say HOCUS POCUS. I say habits. Which means, I ought to turn off the computer and head to bed.

Healthy Habit #1: Let your body and mind rest. Get a good night sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America's Got Talent, Not Time

Let's take a dive into the talent pool.   America’s got talent. A lot of talent. What it doesn’t have though is time and a cohesive system to identify and develop that talent to maturity. The short timeline for the development of talent undermines the country's ability to succeed at the highest level. A multitude of factors play a role, yet the most influential is the win now mentality driven by the demands of college and youth sport. This mentality  - and the money behind it - dominates the American sport landscape; it leads to early selection and deselection, myopic views of talent, and the narrowing of the playing pool before most athletes have time to emerge and fully develop. Recruiting accelerates the timeline. We expect more from athletes at an earlier age. We evaluate them at an earlier age. We select and deselect them at an earlier age. The consequence is that an abundance of talent drops out of the pathway, or goes unidentified and undeveloped. A number of factors

Back on Track

Apologies dear readers, if any of you happen to exist. I  seem to have strayed terribly far from my original purpose, which  I assume, by virtue of the blog title, had something to do with the Athlete Experience.  I have led you on a meandering path toward a cliff of randomness. And I have asked you to jump from that cliff into the oblivion of utter meaninglessness. I have failed wholeheartedly to keep you properly adrift of the athletic experience that matters to me, the way that has become my means - my mode of exploration, my celebration of humanity, and my form of art. And that is the way of the Red, White, and Blue. The Stars and Stripes. The United States of America. With a field hockey stick, a ball, and my teammates. I serve the greatest country in the world. So here is my attempt to rectify my failure, reclaim your readership and get back on track.  Now seems like the best place for the beginning of that quest. The time reads 6:28 AM IST, Irish Standard Time if such a

A Madly Beautiful Place

Today. What a magical word. The Games have officially arrived. Sorry I haven’t written. The past few days have been a whirlwind. So much has happened since we left – and more since we’ve arrived. A trip to Cotswold on the English country side. Some peace and calm. A scrimmage versus Holland. So many people, places, things, and my favorite of all - practices on the blue “smurf” turf. Such simple encounters have already become amazing memories. Pinch. Is this real life? Yes. Katelyn Falgowski, myself, Lauren Crandall in Cotswold The Village.  Pop. Pop. Smack. Swishhhh. Haaaahhh. Haaahh. Pop. Smack. The strange noises drew me toward the open patio door. I looked out to see a clash of strong Italian bodies in the courtyard. More a tango of men clad in gloves and head gear performing some violent dance than a boxing practice – our mouths stood agape. We were in awe. Amy Tran, who say beside me, said, “I don’t know what is more funny – them