Skip to main content

A Madly Beautiful Place

Today. What a magical word.

The Games have officially arrived.

Sorry I haven’t written. The past few days have been a whirlwind. So much has happened since we left – and more since we’ve arrived. A trip to Cotswold on the English country side. Some peace and calm. A scrimmage versus Holland. So many people, places, things, and my favorite of all - practices on the blue “smurf” turf. Such simple encounters have already become amazing memories. Pinch.
Is this real life? Yes.
Katelyn Falgowski, myself, Lauren Crandall in Cotswold



The Village.

 Pop. Pop. Smack. Swishhhh. Haaaahhh. Haaahh. Pop. Smack.
The strange noises drew me toward the open patio door. I looked out to see a clash of strong Italian bodies in the courtyard. More a tango of men clad in gloves and head gear performing some violent dance than a boxing practice – our mouths stood agape. We were in awe. Amy Tran, who say beside me, said, “I don’t know what is more funny – them having practice in the courtyard or us watching fervantly?” We weren’t alone. From the cluster of overlooking balconies, curios eyes, Spanish, South African, and American alike, gazed on the spectacle

I thought to myself - only in the Olympic Village - this madly beautiful, chaotic place where a spectrum of colors proudly drape themselves from the housing buildings and a prism of cultures, curious about one another, shine together in harmony. Usually in the dining hall.

The Dining Hall
Wanna go to India? How about the America’s? Britain? McDonalds?  A little cultural food for all.
Where should we sit? Front? Back? Middle? Blue, Green, or yellow chairs?

Oh My Gosh. Is that Ryan Lochte? Lolo Jones? Paul Casol? Gabby (the American Gymnast). Lebron James?

Real Life? Yes.

It’s hard to digest. Not the food, but the madness of Village life.

The Today Show


Like this morning, we wondered over to the Today Show set to sneak a peak at Matt Laurer and company at work. Little did we know that we’d be pulled on set with Matt, Savannah, Giadi, and Natalie.  We were like giddy kids. They were awesome, so fun and friendly.

Really? You want us with you. Are you sure? Yes.

All the hoopla makes it hard to focus.

Focus
Although really, it isn’t that hard. We know why we are here, and what will be asked of us. Discipline, a lot of discipline, and hard, smart work. "Find work." That is what Navy Seal Chief Stella ingrained in our minds when we trained with him and the Seals..

And at the Olympics, there is plenty of work to be done.

But for today, we will celebrate the Olympics, and our host nation at the Opening Ceremonies.





Comments

  1. Dear Rachel,

    I want to let you know just how much your article "US field hockey team heads for Pan Ams" inspired my high school field hockey team this past fall. After a two game losing streak, I found the article, posted it in our team Facebook group, and read it out loud on the bus to a game the next day. We loved it so much that we decided to add an "AMERICA!" at the end of our pregame cheer. We won that game in the last two minutes, and a tradition was born. A warmup was no longer complete without a “1…2…3 BARLOW! followed by a 1…2…3 AMERICA!” (And although I am now an alum, I have been assured that the tradition will continue for years to come)

    Your words provided inspiration and motivation to succeed for the rest of the season. We used to be one of the weakest teams in the conference, but this year we advanced to the semi finals of our state tournament for the first time in over 20 years.

    So on behalf of the Joel Barlow High School Field Hockey team, I want to say thank you. You and the rest of the USA field hockey team were a source of inspiration for us all. We’ll all be watching and cheering for you in London. And I know you’ll make us proud. Thanks again and best of luck!

    Anne Dolan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Rachel... may everything you do this year be golden!!! All the best!!! tom from NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rachel! I just wanted to tell you that my family was watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies on NBC and your beauty stood out to me. For over a week I tried to find out who you were and finally found you on the NBC website listing all the U.S. athletes. Good luck in the games. And just so you know, you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

America's Got Talent, Not Time

Let's take a dive into the talent pool.   America’s got talent. A lot of talent. What it doesn’t have though is time and a cohesive system to identify and develop that talent to maturity. The short timeline for the development of talent undermines the country's ability to succeed at the highest level. A multitude of factors play a role, yet the most influential is the win now mentality driven by the demands of college and youth sport. This mentality  - and the money behind it - dominates the American sport landscape; it leads to early selection and deselection, myopic views of talent, and the narrowing of the playing pool before most athletes have time to emerge and fully develop. Recruiting accelerates the timeline. We expect more from athletes at an earlier age. We evaluate them at an earlier age. We select and deselect them at an earlier age. The consequence is that an abundance of talent drops out of the pathway, or goes unidentified and undeveloped. A number of factors

Back on Track

Apologies dear readers, if any of you happen to exist. I  seem to have strayed terribly far from my original purpose, which  I assume, by virtue of the blog title, had something to do with the Athlete Experience.  I have led you on a meandering path toward a cliff of randomness. And I have asked you to jump from that cliff into the oblivion of utter meaninglessness. I have failed wholeheartedly to keep you properly adrift of the athletic experience that matters to me, the way that has become my means - my mode of exploration, my celebration of humanity, and my form of art. And that is the way of the Red, White, and Blue. The Stars and Stripes. The United States of America. With a field hockey stick, a ball, and my teammates. I serve the greatest country in the world. So here is my attempt to rectify my failure, reclaim your readership and get back on track.  Now seems like the best place for the beginning of that quest. The time reads 6:28 AM IST, Irish Standard Time if such a