Skip to main content

Showing Up


I am still striving for a dream I once touched. 

The night was getting late. The crowd, though inspired, seemed to be getting restless. They were ready to move, mingle, and celebrate. Rhodes - my 10 month old niece - who sat beside me, had fallen asleep hours ago. 

As I walked up to the podium, I didn’t know the exact words I would say. I had scribbled down a few notes. Yet writing a speech didn’t feel authentic to me. I wanted to let myself be carried by the passion in my heart, because the passion is what had carried me to that moment. I had to trust that the passion would lead me where I was meant to be. I was at my best when I trusted the passion, and let the desire to please fall away.

I had mixed emotions leading up to the Hall of Fame and 100th Anniversary ceremony. Joy, grief, thankfulness, resentment, excitement, and anxiety. A lot of anxiety. Anxiety about the people I would see, about what I would wear, and say. I was scared about how I would feel in the moment - would the emotion be too much to handle? I had so much anxiety I didn't know if I wanted to show up.

Most of all, I had anxiety that I would not be able to convey the complexity of my passion for and experience in the sport. Field hockey broke my heart, left me grieving, confused about who I was, and what value I had to offer. Despite the grief, the game still pulsed in my soul the way it did before I ever got good at it or made a career out of it. 

The dream of playing and transforming hockey in the USA has always been with me. It carried me as a child, battled me as teenager, haunted me upon retirement and re-inspired me as a woman. When I walked up to that podium, I decided to share the thing that got me through it all. The thing I am most proud of, and thankful for. The thing that at times, including that night, was hardest to do - showing up.  Showing up when you are messy and vulnerable and uncertain about the way forward. 

Anyone who has played for the national team knows that it is not a glamorous life. It’s hard, it’s uncertain. People make pennies to prove they aren’t expendable, that their play is up to par. I wrote a poem for us. The ones who showed up, kept showing up, and will keep showing up. 

When it was hardest 
We showed up. 
We believed. 
When no else did. 
When no else knew 
What we could become 
We showed up. 
We put in the work 
We argued. 
We cried. 
We doubted. 
We ran. 
We learned. 
We grew. 
We fought. 
We played. 
We played our hearts out. 

The critics shouted, 
And still, deep down 
We knew. 
We knew We had to keep showing up. 
Because if we kept showing up 
We could become 
The team we knew 
We already were. 

There aren’t records. Or medals. 
But we know what We’ve done 
And what we will continue to do. 
We will keep showing up. 

We will show up for the passion. 
For the 6 year old in us. 
For the 27 year old in us. 
For the 50 year old in us. 
For the 90 year old in us. 
For the athlete in all of us. 
The Olympian in all is us. 

We will show up. 
Because we believe. 
Because We love. 
And one day, We will realize 
That all the Showing up 
Day after day 
Game after game 
Minute after minute 
Hard time after hard time 
Broken hearted, bruised, exhausted. 
It’s in the Showing up 
Where we discover
The Gold in life.

Never underestimate the power of showing up. Not now. Not ever. Keep showing up. Keep playing. Keep fighting, and keep reminding yourself that showing up matters. You never know whose life you will change when you show up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America's Got Talent, Not Time

Let's take a dive into the talent pool.   America’s got talent. A lot of talent. What it doesn’t have though is time and a cohesive system to identify and develop that talent to maturity. The short timeline for the development of talent undermines the country's ability to succeed at the highest level. A multitude of factors play a role, yet the most influential is the win now mentality driven by the demands of college and youth sport. This mentality  - and the money behind it - dominates the American sport landscape; it leads to early selection and deselection, myopic views of talent, and the narrowing of the playing pool before most athletes have time to emerge and fully develop. Recruiting accelerates the timeline. We expect more from athletes at an earlier age. We evaluate them at an earlier age. We select and deselect them at an earlier age. The consequence is that an abundance of talent drops out of the pathway, or goes unidentified and undeveloped. A number of factors

Back on Track

Apologies dear readers, if any of you happen to exist. I  seem to have strayed terribly far from my original purpose, which  I assume, by virtue of the blog title, had something to do with the Athlete Experience.  I have led you on a meandering path toward a cliff of randomness. And I have asked you to jump from that cliff into the oblivion of utter meaninglessness. I have failed wholeheartedly to keep you properly adrift of the athletic experience that matters to me, the way that has become my means - my mode of exploration, my celebration of humanity, and my form of art. And that is the way of the Red, White, and Blue. The Stars and Stripes. The United States of America. With a field hockey stick, a ball, and my teammates. I serve the greatest country in the world. So here is my attempt to rectify my failure, reclaim your readership and get back on track.  Now seems like the best place for the beginning of that quest. The time reads 6:28 AM IST, Irish Standard Time if such a

A Madly Beautiful Place

Today. What a magical word. The Games have officially arrived. Sorry I haven’t written. The past few days have been a whirlwind. So much has happened since we left – and more since we’ve arrived. A trip to Cotswold on the English country side. Some peace and calm. A scrimmage versus Holland. So many people, places, things, and my favorite of all - practices on the blue “smurf” turf. Such simple encounters have already become amazing memories. Pinch. Is this real life? Yes. Katelyn Falgowski, myself, Lauren Crandall in Cotswold The Village.  Pop. Pop. Smack. Swishhhh. Haaaahhh. Haaahh. Pop. Smack. The strange noises drew me toward the open patio door. I looked out to see a clash of strong Italian bodies in the courtyard. More a tango of men clad in gloves and head gear performing some violent dance than a boxing practice – our mouths stood agape. We were in awe. Amy Tran, who say beside me, said, “I don’t know what is more funny – them