Skip to main content

Who Are You? Look for the And

   

    When I was in college, I was adamant about one thing career-wise and one thing only. I was never going to be a coach. I professed it emphatically to anyone who would listen. When I am done playing field hockey, I am done with the sport. Totally. Forever. Never going back. Done. I was especially defiant about it to anyone who told me that I would make a good coach. Well, tough luck, because it’s never happening.  I’d say. I love playing. Not coaching.

I was so stubborn about not becoming a coach that I enrolled in the business school at the University of North Carolina just to defy the stigma of my identity as an athlete. I wanted to prove that I could belong in spheres of education beyond the field hockey field.  The irony makes me laugh because as you may have guessed, I now coach field hockey and I really enjoy it. 

Coaching brings me joy. When I am on a field with athletes or talking shop with other coaches, I lose track of time. I love the game; I love sharing it, watching it, writing about it, analyzing it, exploring it, and teaching life lessons through it. I love seeing others fall in love with the game too. I love seeing them develop their own, unique relationship with it. Some players love it, some players leave it, and some players, like young me, want to devote their lives to it. 

No matter the relationship, at some point all hockey players wrestle with the question of identity and who they are within the context of sport. We ask ourselves where do I belong within this sport, and where does this sport belong within my life. 

    When I look back at college me, I see that my resistance to coaching was never rooted in how I felt about the game; it was rooted in how I felt about myself. Field hockey was the dominant force in my life. Yes, I loved it; okay, yes, I was obsessed with it, but I also knew that there was more to me than what could be discovered on a hockey field. I had unexplored talents, passions, and perspectives. Yet, I clung to field hockey because it was my ticket to a better life. I needed it, desperately.    

    It was easy to carve out a niche identity for myself within the context of the sport. I knew my role. I knew my in-group. I knew what I needed to wear. I knew where and when I needed to show-up. I knew how I was expected to behave. I knew what was needed from me. Sport gave me, as it gives many athletes, very clear and distinctive answers to the question of 'who am I?’  The hockey player identity felt safe, and because it was safe, I didn't really want to explore other passions. I didn't want to stray from the known, because the unknown felt scary. 

    In 2008, before my first Olympics, someone suggested that I partake in a new Olympic blogger program that was being hosted by Lenovo. If you signed up to be a blogger, you got a free computer. That was enough to coax me into signing up. I wasn't equipped with any formal journalism training, yet in this opportunity I found a love for words and storytelling. The experience unleashed a dormant, creative part of myself, and I've been dabbling with writing ever since the first blog dropped on 'Beijing Bound and Beyond.' 

    In my discovery of blogging, and the exploration of my own identity and belonging within the sport of field hockey, this is what I've learned - the more I write and make space for the ANDs within me, the more I love the game; the less I write and the more narrow my focus becomes, the more I wrestle with my passion for the game. I realize that I must keep looking for the ANDs - the new passions and perspectives - within myself.  I can be obsessed with the game, like I was as a kid, and explore other parts of myself too. 

  I write this, because I know there is someone who needs to hear it. So, to the athletes and coaches now wrestling with their own identity and belonging within the sport,  I beg this of you -  love the game and celebrate the search for the ANDs within you, too. You can be a brilliant athlete or coach, and explore whatever passion your heart desires. 


Comments

  1. Love this!!!! After I left college coaching… I swore I would never coach again. Famous last words. Grassroots coaching rec, club and high school has been so rewarding for me personally and has given me an outlet beyond my professional life and my daily roles of mom and partner.

    Thank you for all you do for our sport. Our girls are so lucky you are their coach!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

America's Got Talent, Not Time

Let's take a dive into the talent pool.   America’s got talent. A lot of talent. What it doesn’t have though is time and a cohesive system to identify and develop that talent to maturity. The short timeline for the development of talent undermines the country's ability to succeed at the highest level. A multitude of factors play a role, yet the most influential is the win now mentality driven by the demands of college and youth sport. This mentality  - and the money behind it - dominates the American sport landscape; it leads to early selection and deselection, myopic views of talent, and the narrowing of the playing pool before most athletes have time to emerge and fully develop. Recruiting accelerates the timeline. We expect more from athletes at an earlier age. We evaluate them at an earlier age. We select and deselect them at an earlier age. The consequence is that an abundance of talent drops out of the pathway, or goes unidentified and undeveloped. A number of factors

Back on Track

Apologies dear readers, if any of you happen to exist. I  seem to have strayed terribly far from my original purpose, which  I assume, by virtue of the blog title, had something to do with the Athlete Experience.  I have led you on a meandering path toward a cliff of randomness. And I have asked you to jump from that cliff into the oblivion of utter meaninglessness. I have failed wholeheartedly to keep you properly adrift of the athletic experience that matters to me, the way that has become my means - my mode of exploration, my celebration of humanity, and my form of art. And that is the way of the Red, White, and Blue. The Stars and Stripes. The United States of America. With a field hockey stick, a ball, and my teammates. I serve the greatest country in the world. So here is my attempt to rectify my failure, reclaim your readership and get back on track.  Now seems like the best place for the beginning of that quest. The time reads 6:28 AM IST, Irish Standard Time if such a

A Madly Beautiful Place

Today. What a magical word. The Games have officially arrived. Sorry I haven’t written. The past few days have been a whirlwind. So much has happened since we left – and more since we’ve arrived. A trip to Cotswold on the English country side. Some peace and calm. A scrimmage versus Holland. So many people, places, things, and my favorite of all - practices on the blue “smurf” turf. Such simple encounters have already become amazing memories. Pinch. Is this real life? Yes. Katelyn Falgowski, myself, Lauren Crandall in Cotswold The Village.  Pop. Pop. Smack. Swishhhh. Haaaahhh. Haaahh. Pop. Smack. The strange noises drew me toward the open patio door. I looked out to see a clash of strong Italian bodies in the courtyard. More a tango of men clad in gloves and head gear performing some violent dance than a boxing practice – our mouths stood agape. We were in awe. Amy Tran, who say beside me, said, “I don’t know what is more funny – them