Skip to main content

Brilliance In the Biggest Moment


    Thank you, Grant Wahl, for opening my eyes to the magic of soccer and importance of storytelling. May I have the courage to do the same for the sport that pulses within me. 

    Name a better drama than sport. I’ll wait. 

    The only thing that I can think of that compares to the epic drama of sport is, well, life. Sport is life, in all of its beauty and messiness (feel free to read Messi-ness).  The twists and turns of fate. The emotional rollercoaster. The confrontation with the best in us and the worst in us. The relationships. The succeeding. The failing. The beginning. The ending. The quest for greatness. The falling short. The rising. The losing. The finding. The redemption. The prevailing. The grappling. The unknown.

    Sport evokes awe and wonder and madness. It captivates the soul. 

    Yesterday, in the Men's World Cup Final, two soccer stars were pitted against each other in the biggest moment of their careers, and in an event that may go down as the pen-ultimate sporting event in history and set against the back drop of conflict (not just any conflict but the prevailing conflict in human history, money and power versus human rights), these stars - Messi and Mbappe - and their teammates, delivered. They shined with breath-taking brilliance. 

    Captivated, mouth agape, I watched in awe as the drama unfolded. The more awe I felt, the more I thought of Grant Wahl and how cruel the hand of fate had been to him and his family. That he wasn't there, in the stadium, in the flesh, to witness this miraculous unfolding, and tell us how to deepen our understanding of it.

    I didn't know Grant, yet I  followed his storytelling. Somehow his story-telling made me feel like I knew him. I trusted his voice. It was honest, passionate, and relentlessly pure. His voice made me want to follow soccer. He opened my eyes to the magic of the game. He helped me see the human thread weaving through it. I felt equal parts invitation and biblical-type decree in his storytelling. His words seemed to decipher a secret language for us. 

    As I watched, I thought about what Grant would see, and what he would write. I can't even pretend to know. I feel such cruel anguish that we will never know. But what I do know is that yesterday, it was the love that captivated me the most. The love of a a passionate and devout nation pouring itself completely into the hope of a man, named Messi, wearing the number ten.. The love of the players for a game that pulsed in their veins. The love of the fans who clung to their seats and watched through tears. The love for the game. The sport. For life. ; I could see the love because Grant showed me the love. 

    Grant's storytelling is what I brought me to this moment. Storytellers are the code-breakers who help us decipher the beauty and brilliance of sport. They position us perfectly to understand the great unfolding of the drama; they help us appreciate and understand the arcs of our favorite characters. They help us understand how each character has come to this precise moment in time, and how each decision will define the future. 

    Sport is the greatest form of storytelling. When you watch a sport, you watch the ending write itself. You watch the magic unfold. Without the storytellers, we could not marvel at the mastery or muse in the mystery.  

    Without storytellers, we would be blind to the brilliance in the biggest moments. We would not be able to see the magic. I think about all the magic that we are missing in women's sport because we don't have storytellers teaching us how to see the magic.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America's Got Talent, Not Time

Let's take a dive into the talent pool.   America’s got talent. A lot of talent. What it doesn’t have though is time and a cohesive system to identify and develop that talent to maturity. The short timeline for the development of talent undermines the country's ability to succeed at the highest level. A multitude of factors play a role, yet the most influential is the win now mentality driven by the demands of college and youth sport. This mentality  - and the money behind it - dominates the American sport landscape; it leads to early selection and deselection, myopic views of talent, and the narrowing of the playing pool before most athletes have time to emerge and fully develop. Recruiting accelerates the timeline. We expect more from athletes at an earlier age. We evaluate them at an earlier age. We select and deselect them at an earlier age. The consequence is that an abundance of talent drops out of the pathway, or goes unidentified and undeveloped. A number of factors

Back on Track

Apologies dear readers, if any of you happen to exist. I  seem to have strayed terribly far from my original purpose, which  I assume, by virtue of the blog title, had something to do with the Athlete Experience.  I have led you on a meandering path toward a cliff of randomness. And I have asked you to jump from that cliff into the oblivion of utter meaninglessness. I have failed wholeheartedly to keep you properly adrift of the athletic experience that matters to me, the way that has become my means - my mode of exploration, my celebration of humanity, and my form of art. And that is the way of the Red, White, and Blue. The Stars and Stripes. The United States of America. With a field hockey stick, a ball, and my teammates. I serve the greatest country in the world. So here is my attempt to rectify my failure, reclaim your readership and get back on track.  Now seems like the best place for the beginning of that quest. The time reads 6:28 AM IST, Irish Standard Time if such a

A Madly Beautiful Place

Today. What a magical word. The Games have officially arrived. Sorry I haven’t written. The past few days have been a whirlwind. So much has happened since we left – and more since we’ve arrived. A trip to Cotswold on the English country side. Some peace and calm. A scrimmage versus Holland. So many people, places, things, and my favorite of all - practices on the blue “smurf” turf. Such simple encounters have already become amazing memories. Pinch. Is this real life? Yes. Katelyn Falgowski, myself, Lauren Crandall in Cotswold The Village.  Pop. Pop. Smack. Swishhhh. Haaaahhh. Haaahh. Pop. Smack. The strange noises drew me toward the open patio door. I looked out to see a clash of strong Italian bodies in the courtyard. More a tango of men clad in gloves and head gear performing some violent dance than a boxing practice – our mouths stood agape. We were in awe. Amy Tran, who say beside me, said, “I don’t know what is more funny – them